Hi. I'm Derek,
and I’m a high-end Commercial Photographer and Art Director.
You might know me from my work with National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, TED, National Hockey League, and SETI.
But the thing I most want you to know?
IF YOU HIRE ME, YOUR JOB WILL GET EASIER.
As the photographer on set, my job is to make the models look great, of course. But ultimately, they’re not my client. YOU are.
You hired me. I’m in that room, making art with other artists, because of you. Because of that, here’s my priority: create something so on-point, that your boss sees the final frames and sends you an all-caps email saying, “NAILED IT!”
For some more detail, here’s the kind of photographer I’m NOT:
- I’m not the guy who has one style and demands that you adjust to his aesthetic
- I’m not the ‘Yes Man’ with no creative ideas to offer
- I’m not an ego-tripping control freak (my wife agrees, so this must be true).
And here are some of my core beliefs, to give you a sense of the kind of photographer I am:
- We’re art-makers. Whatever is required to make that art, I am all-the-way IN. No drama. No complaining. Let’s make something beautiful together.
- Collaboration creates momentum. It is possible for a group of creative minds to gel. I know you’ve probably seen the opposite, but it happens, and I’m committed to making it happen again and again. And again.
- Our art has to earn a living. At the end of the day, we’re capturing beautiful images to support a brand, to inspire customers to spend their money. I understand the interplay between creative art-making and practical business priorities. These two things can co-exist -- happily.
Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club
One Management NYC
Sajak & Farki
Women Management Malian